Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It begins...

It's about 8:40PM on Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. I'm in NYC, working at the UN. Tomorrow at 2:30 my trek will begin. I'm checked into my flight, (Delta 6044), the car to pick me up at 1st/42nd is reserved and on schedule... what could go wrong?

The itinerary:
2:30pm - Limo to the airport. This is a 90 minute commute on a good day. Anybody want to predict slightly longer times for Thanksgiving Weds?

6:50pm - Scheduled take off of Delta flight 6044 to Albany. I'm hoping that 4 hours is enough time to drive 12 miles AND get through airport security. Of course, our friends at the Department of Making Travel Slow and Unrewarding have already spiced up the holiday travel with a brilliant efficiency plan - boarding planes even EARLIER! That's good. I really enjoy just sitting on the runway for an hour, getting to know I might get to do it for 2 or more thrills me to no end.

I'm not sure how rushing people onto planes to sit on runways for LONGER stretches of time helps, but hey, I'm not a smart Homeland Security person.

If everything goes as scheduled, I will be in Albany by 8:45PM, meaning it will only have required 6 hours to go about 180 miles; I'm beginning to regret not renting a car already...

No comments: