Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How do you cure delays? Change the definition!

Well, after a 2 hour ride in, I'm hitting the first delay. My 6:50 flight now takes off at 9PM ("But you'll board at 8:30!"). Traffic out of midtown was heavy but not unreasonable for a holiday.
To make the weight bearable, I spent the $25 for the daypass to the Delta lounge. Hey, thanks to the delay, I'll get my money's worth out of it.

For the record, it's probably worth the price for the odd trip with a long layover. Free food and fermented drink, comfy chairs, wireless access. Busy as heck today but any other day would be quiet as a tomb in here, I'll bet. Showers for those who just stepped out int'l flights, not a bad deal.

So, in case you're wondering how my flight can take off 2 hours late and not count as a delay, it's because the delay is on the "inbound leg". Translation : the plane is stuck at the previous airport. Ergo JFK has "no delays".

At least I'm not stuck in the Calcutta-esque scene downstairs. The best part is this lounge actually has a balcony -- you can sit in your comfy chair drinking wine and watch the lower classes swarm below.

Airports. Bringing back the BEST parts of travel!

No comments: